Tuesday, 08 April 2008 13:22
A. MAINTENANCE OF MEMBERSHI
1. The Association and the District agree that any unit member who is a member of th Association at the time this Agreement becomes effective or who enrolls during the term o the Agreement shall maintain such membership for the duration of this Agreement. This provision shall not deprive any member of the right to terminate her or his membership within the 30 day period following expiration of the Agreement. If a member who is covered by the maintenance of membership requirement withdraws authorization for dues, the District shall deduct agency fees as provided in Education Code Section 45061 and in the same manner as set forth in Sections B.2 above and C. 1,2,3,4 below.
B. DUES DEDUCTION
1. The right of payroll deduction for payment of membership dues, initiation fees, and general assessments shall be accorded exclusively to the Association. The District shall deduct other voluntary payments as authorized by unit members and the Association. Association members who currently have authorization cards on file for the above purposes need not be resolicited. Membership dues, initiation fees, and general assessments, upon formal written request from the Association to the District, shall be increased or decreased without resolicitation and authorization from unit members.
2. Any unit member who is a member of the Association or who has applied for membership, may sign and deliver to the District an assignment authorizing deduction of membership dues, initiation fees, and general assessments of the Association Pursuant to such authorization, the District shall deduct one-tenth (1/10) of such due from the regular salary check of the unit member each month for ten (10) months Deductions for unit members who sign such authorization after the commencement o the school year shall be appropriately prorated to complete payments by the end of the school year.
3. With respect to all sums deducted by the District pursuant to Section B. 1,2 above, the District agrees to remit such monies promptly to the Association accompanied by an alphabetical list of units members, including their names, addresses and work locations for whom such deductions have been made, and indicating any changes in personnel from the list previously furnished.
C. AGENCY FEE
1. Any unit member who is not a member of the Association, or who does not make application for membership within 30 days of the effective date of this agreement, or within 30 days from the date of commencement of assigned duties within the bargaining unit, shall become a member of the Association or pay an agency fee in an amount equal to membership dues, initiation fees and general assessments. The District shall immediately begin automatic payroll deduction as provided in Education Code Section 45061 and in the same manner as set forth in this Article. There shall be no charge to the Association for such mandatory agency fee deductions.
2. Any unit member who is a member of a religious body whose traditional tenets or teachings include objections to joining or financially supporting employee organizations shall not be required to join or financially support the Association as a condition of employment; except that such unit member shall pay, in lieu of a service fee, sums equal to such service fee to one of the following non-religious, non-labor organization, charitable funds exempt from taxation under Section 501 © (3) of Title 26 of the Internal Revenue Code:
a. Lemon Grove Education Foundation
b. Ronald McDonald House
c. Polinsky Children’s Center
To receive a religious exemption, the unit member must submit a detailed written statement establishing the basis for the religious exemption. The Association executive board shall communicate in writing to the unit member its acceptance or rejection of the exemption. If accepted, the unit member shall make payment to an appropriate charity as described above. Such payment shall be made as specified in B. 2 and forwarded to the authorized charity.
3. With respect to all sums deducted by the District pursuant to sections above, whether for membership dues or agency fee, the District agrees to remit such monies promptly to the Association accompanied by an alphabetical list of unit members for whom such deductions have been made, categorizing them as to membership or non-membership in the Association, and indicating any changes in personnel from the list previously furnished.
4. The Association and District agree to furnish to each other any information needed to fulfill the provisions of this article.